Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Day 6- Unintentional Bitterness

I must elaborate that sometimes things just don't work out, despite it being no one's fault. It might appear as a lame attempt to split the blame or flush the blame completely but I am convinced it's unfortunately one way things pans out. I can swear by the intentions I held before moving into the Host house, I had no prejudices against the process. Neither did I ever gauge how much it is important to both parties.

I just decided to move out and explained different reasons to different parties to mitigate the bitterness. All in vain. I think my host family understands I didn't like the place enough to stay for long. I did not. They are a small happy self-sufficient family. They did everything they could in their capacity to accommodate me. However it wasn't justifying the rent and I have my reasons to choose a different space.

So I just broke the news to my host mother and she wasn't pleased. One week was enough to figure out that the family depended ( atleast a little ) on the rent as part of their income. She smirked to hide her disappointment and me trying to comfort her by lying that she could expect a new student didn't help. Right at the moment , she received a call from the university breaking to her the same news that I did , however informing her that I was leaving as I found the rent to be expensive. This reached her the wrong way. It reached her husband in a much worse way. He took offence. Mariano ( the husband) is not much of a talker or a pleaser, infact he appears to be a genuine gentleman. I respect him. Over lunch, the vibe was different and tense. It was obvious but unspoken. One question over the dish was enough to turn the spark into fire. However the fire manifested itself in bitterness and words and also in spanish. I understand now I am no longer a good person to them in some capacity. I understand they needed this. But its hard to communicate that I never wanted this to end this way either.

A part of me is heavy and restless at how this turned out but the whole of me is sure that this is the right thing to do. I never usually insist on being liked ( infact I pride on being hated) but this is the one time I wish they hated me less and knew my intentions were right. I know I have disappointed them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wishful Cuts

Roza emphasized desperately, "such a shame..... such a waste of a good fit!!". Naimmin, in response, quoted a french philosopher,...