Monday, January 5, 2015

Day 4- Hungry and Awkward

For an overtly simplistic and forever hungry existant, its only fair to expect atleast 3 meals a day if not more but when you chose a host family to understand your needs, you realize how you are your own nemesis.

Day 1, as soon as I reached home, I requested my host for a cup of milk, to quickly pour down my throat and gift myself some sleep. I was given quarter of a cup milk, my brain didn't bother to processes any of it due to exhaustion. When dinner was announced, I disappointed my host by informing her I don't eat fish which she prepared with much effort and warmth. I was given a bowl of soup made of three ingredients - water, salt and potato, it tasted good and I couldn't ask for anything warmer and better. I was glad.

Day 2 I dont remember what I was provided for breakfast, but I am sure it was something negligible as I didnt register what it was.  For lunch I was given spaghetti, it was so bland that the Indian ketchup I carried along to Spain couldn't make it taste any better.

Here's the catch. My host always provide me some kind of meal and prefer to cook something else for themselves. This is not the part I ever had a problem with. My only concern is I never know whether I am done or not. I understood the basics of a meal only to the extent that it always includes a soup. Calling it soup would be unfair to the word for its just water , salt and some kind of dried-all-purpose-flour. Initially I understood it as 'the' meal. I even got up with my bowl thinking to myself this it. She later told me there is a sandwich to this meal. It was a toast with butter with a slice of cheese. I was sure if I should even bother eating it or just announce I am done as it wouldn't make any difference to my appetite.

Day 3 I was to myself and I gifted myself Maggi and cornflakes both of which I carried to Spain.

Day 4 My host decided we must go out for shopping and take advantage of the sale. I woke at 8:00 AM out of hunger and waiting till 10:30 expecting breakfast.  I had no clue the day didn't have breakfast to itself, but a late lunch alone. The lunch included quintessential bowl of water+salt+semolina followed by a spoonful of boiled beans.

The awkwardness begins when I am not sure if that was it. Today there was something else cooked on the table but I wasn't served that , not because I wasn't supposed to , but because they thought I am full. I sat there awkward not sure if what they were eating was ham or beef. I got up to end the confusion and currently I am not sure whether I should even bother eating meals.

Its almost the first experience in my life to be fed meagerly and may be now I will respect food more in the sense of a commodity that provides nutrition if not as delicacies.

Forever hungry....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wishful Cuts

Roza emphasized desperately, "such a shame..... such a waste of a good fit!!". Naimmin, in response, quoted a french philosopher,...